Well, first thing to say is that I’m a bit disappointed at how little time I’ve got at the moment for coursework, blogging or even sketching. Just started a new job and had a holiday, so it’s all been rather hectic.
Anyway, here’s a quick update on my first try at a monoprint using oil-based ink and a press – at the Edinburgh Printmakers Studio.
I decided to try a little landscape that I’d sketched recently, a beach in Assynt. This time I was using my recently-purchased plexiglass under which I placed an outline of my sketch.
I’m used to mixing the oil-based inks for relief printing (inc using driers and extenders), but for painting the inks had to be much less stiff. I used a little oil to loosen it, which worked quite well, but I think I just used too much – the result was bleeding and blotching – especially around the bothy area where there was supposed to be some finer detail. Perhaps a specific medium would have been better – I really just should have asked one of the techs for advice. Next time.
Unfortunately that evening I didn’t have a lot of time to try this again – mixing the inks took me ages (I’m such a slow worker)! And even then the green colour is really poor as I was getting impatient….but still there are aspects of this that I like – in particular the clouds came out much better than I expected. And I love using the press… no worries about picking up the ink this time!
I’m definitely going to revisit this image – I think it might work well using a combination of techniques like monoprinting for a background, sky, sea, with back drawing or even lino print for the stronger, black areas like the rocks and fine detail… we will see!
Update: unfortunately this print got lost at the studio.