As part of my final monoprinting project, here is a print made using a series of masks, textures, scratching and backdrawing. The subject is a pair of my daughter’s red and white boots, worn when she was just a toddler.
2+3. Masks and impressions
The second used another negative mask to create the red shoes shape. (As you can see I created 6 prints each time – lots of work, but in the end it was worth it.)
On some of these I pressed then lifted off some spotty wrapping paper onto the ink before printing – the white spots on the wrapping paper lifted more ink, creating the spots on the shoes.
Next, for the darker red of the inside of the shoes and the soles, I used a third set of negative masks for the shapes, and then used the end of a paintbrush to scratch in some lines to give a bit of contour to the inner shapes.
At this point I was really tempted to stop as I was nervous about spoiling the best ones with a further stage, but decided to grasp the nettle…..
This was loads of work, but I was very pleased with the result and that my initial planning of the whole process had worked out.
Registration went really well here – all the masks were negative – I just used masking tape to both position the printing paper and secure the masks and it worked really well.
I used thinner paper for the masks than before but found I was able to use the same paper for 8 prints of each stage, so only had to cut one version of each.